Sunday, August 9, 2020

Week 6: Year of Projects

Not really sure where this week went.  It felt like it flew by!  It was not a very productive week as far as crafting.  BUT, the boxes are dwindling in the garage and we've got pictures on the wall.  It feels like home more and more each day! That's a win in my book.


Last Sunday we took a ride out to my brother's to pick up our chickens. He was fostering my daughter's two favorite chickens while  we were living in an apartment.  They are now home and in their new coop.  My daughter is thrilled!




On the garden front, we are beginning to get figs.  Harvesting figs is not as easy as picking blueberries.  This tree is attracting a lot of HUGE wasps. (What's up with the huge bugs in NC?) Babygirl tried a fig yesterday and decided she likes them.  I'm currently looking for fig recipes.  We're going to try some jam and a pie recommended by a friend.   Open to suggestions if you've got any...


Stash organization has begun, I was able to catalog and photograph a tote full of yarn  it has been entered/updated in Ravelry.

I've added a few inches to the sleeve of my sweater, but no real progress there.  I'm hoping to get a bit of time in today.  I'd really like it done this week.  Not sure how realistic that is, but I'm going to give it a shot.


Fun times this morning with an earthquake hitting NC.  I was teaching a class online when my whole house started shaking.  Can't wait to see that feedback as it was with a new student. Here's hoping the rest of the day is nice and quiet.  

12 comments:

  1. Love the chickens, I bet it is nice to have them back. Your sweater is looking great, it will be finished soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We love having them back! Makes it feel even more like home.

      Delete
  2. Figs are hard to pick off a tree. Guess you don't need to worry about them being blown off a tree in a wind storm LOL. I am sure you guys are glad to have your chickens back home. Your sweater is looking good and should be completed shortly. That is scary about the earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of fig picking. Blueberries are so much easier. I feel like everytime I go out there are 4 or 5 figs ready. It has been a slow process.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are getting settled - but house shaking - yikes! Cool to hear that little miss likes figs. I have had them fresh off the tree in Croatia where my daughter lives. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the earthquake was definitely interesting! I'm glad she likes them too. We'll be making some jam soon.

      Delete
  4. Fresh figs in the garden, sounds lovely except for the wasps. They aren’t something that grows here and we rarely see fresh ones in our supermarket so I can help with recipes but I hope you let us know what you made with them. I hope there was no damage from the earthquake...scary! Your jumper is really coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't done much with them yet. They are ripening very slowly. I've found a few recipes, but I need to wait until I have more fruit.

      Delete
  5. 5 Acres and a dream blog just harvested a bunch of figs and canned them. Wasps I hate! AHHHH! I got stung by one of those scarlet wasps...very aggressive and it took a month to go down. Have you ever heard of The Holler Homestead? They are in NC and just moved there from CA last year to set up a homestead. I wondered how you fared with the hurricane and now an earthquake? School has started there? My daughter is a teacher in Iowa but they are short of bus drivers as 30 decided not to come back. A lot of bus drivers are retired people just making some extra income so they are older and at risk. So, school there is postponed for a few more weeks.
    I love the chickens and your sweater! Both are beautiful! Stay safe and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that photograph of your chickens. I bet they have some personality! :) I don't think I've ever tasted a fig (well, except in fig newtons). Having a fruit tree sounds like a real treat - the wasps not so much. Sounds like you're getting yourselves settled in. Pictures are the last things to ever go on our walls, it seems. Glad you were safe in the earthquake. Some pictures on the evening news looked pretty scarey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved chickens as a child. Both my grandparents had them. Yours are beautiful. I am not sure how people can look at chickens and think of them as all looking the same when obviously they do not. Thank goodness you got through the quake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Your blog is beautiful with all your talented photos. Hope all is well following the earthquake.

    ReplyDelete

A Year of Projects: A Quick Update

 It’s another week of where did the time go???  I’ve gotten out of the habit of taking 30 minutes to knit each morning.  That needs to chang...